Bersa Pistol Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Far be it from me to criticize .22lr vs. 45 caliber. Seems to me that we all choose our piece for a personal reason. If it works, use it and do it. Why should we criticize another for his choice of calibers? We do not walk in his shoes. We have not been appointed as arbiters.
Let's post constructive stuff.
I want constructive info-not more crap about stopping a drug crazed goofy with a smaller caliber weapon.
Be safe.
Marine 1960

·
Registered
50 Posts
When you read the ballistic reports on kill rates you find the differences among all the calibers are very small. The kill rate for a .22 is about as deadly as a .45. Emergency room doctors and coroners alike can not tell the difference of the would cavity caused by a 9mm, .40 S&W . 357M or a .45 ACP.

The one common denominator for kill rate had more to do with shot placement than it did caliber.

·
Registered
240 Posts
When you read the ballistic reports on kill rates you find the differences among all the calibers are very small. The kill rate for a .22 is about as deadly as a .45. Emergency room doctors and coroners alike can not tell the difference of the would cavity caused by a 9mm, .40 S&W . 357M or a .45 ACP.

The one common denominator for kill rate had more to do with shot placement than it did caliber.
I agree shot placement is key but I have a hard time believing that someone hit with a .22lr and someone hit with a 45acp would be stopped or even slowed down equally. Yeah, if you hit in the eye or back of the head or brain stem you might get a one-shot drop. But other than that one in a thousand hit, I just have a problem believing it. Wound cavity between 9, 40, 357 or 45 might be similar but while I wouldn't wanna get shot by ANYthing, I don't think a 22 and a 45acp would even be CLOSE. But that's just me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unfortunately i didn't bookmark any of the stuff I read, but let me emphasize my first reply was not my opinion because I am no way near expert enough to have an opinion. I was passing on the conclusions from the works of others. Also, these reports are on kill rates not stopping power which is not based on a single shot to achieve a kill. As I remember, smaller calibers required more shots to stop an attack. This why I put more emphasis on my training than in the caliber I'm shooting.

Actually the one shot man stopper is more rare than most people think. Ultimately, there is no such thing as having a handgun caliber that is a real man stopper. Which is why you hear some people say that all handguns suck.

Anyway, I would encourage you to research for yourself, you will be amazed at what you will learn.

For the record, I never suggest that .22 caliber is a good defense caliber.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Unfortunately i didn't bookmark any of the stuff I read, but let me emphasize my first reply was not my opinion because I am no way near expert enough to have an opinion.
No, I understand you were making a statement from something you read, no problem. I just have a hard time with ANY comparisons between .22's and .45's. If I walk up and pop someone in the back of the head with a .22 like a hit-man, yeah, he's (probably) dead. If I do it with a .45 he's DEAD! I just won't make myself rely on a .22 for anything other than target shooting at a range or at a friend's house who owns a few acres, that's all.

For the record, I never suggest that .22 caliber is a good defense caliber.
No, but "The kill rate for a .22 is about as deadly as a .45" is pretty close .... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts