Bersa Pistol Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New thunder .380 combat. Shoots great, no misfires or jamming. About 100 rounds of Federal FMJ through it so far.

I removed the magazine and cleared the chamber. With the safety in the the 'safe' position, I racked the slide and the hammer stayed cocked. The pistol would not fire. I moved the safety to the fire position and, without touching the trigger, the hammer released forward as it does when it's fired. I tried it again with the safety in the 'fire' position, a racked the slide and the hammer stayed cocked. (Remember, there is no magazine). When I moved the safety to the 'safe' position, without touching the trigger, the hammer fell forward as it does when it's fired.

Tonight, I'll try it with an empty magazine.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I have a BT380 and never fired a Thunder 380 Combat. I followed your instructions on my BT380 and this is what happened.
With the safety in the safe position and the mag out with no round in the chamber, I racked the slide and then released the slide which returned to the forward or normal position. The hammer also returned to the forward or normal safe position. My trigger was free with no pressure which is the safe position. I tried this about 10 times with the same result.
To try and create the situation you had I rack the slide again but slowly allowed the side to move forward and just before the slide reached the full forward position it stopped and the hammer remained cocked. Again there was no pressure on the trigger. Moving the slide all the way forward, the hammer did go forward but would not have fire since the safely was on ( if there was a round in the chamber ). I am not a Pistol expert but I recommend a Gunsmith checking it out or returning it to Bersa.
Do let us know since I am looking forward to getting a Thunder 380 Combat some time in the future.
Tony

·
Registered
5 Posts
With the mag out and the chamber cleared and the safety in the on position, try cocking the hammer with your thumb. It should not stay cocked. This action is the same as racking the slide. If it cocks with the safety on, the gun needs to be repaired by either Bersa or a qualified gun smith. Safety speaking, with the mag out the gun should be rendered inoperable.
Same situation, mag out, chamber cleared, safety in the fire position. Rack the slide or cock the hammer with your thumb. It should stay cocked. Now, when you push the safety to the safe position, this activates the decocker. This means a small plate moves into position in front of the firing pin and the hammer falls against this plate keeping the hammer from contacting the firing pin. The decocker works in this fashion with or without a round in the chamber. Of course, to be gun safe, always point the gun in a safe position when activating the decocker. Common sense. All of this information is covered in your owners manual. JJC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm dealing with something of the same situation except that if I place a loaded magazine in the pistol (with the slide locked open after firing a full clip at the range) when I press the slide release and the slide move forward the pistol fired. There was absolutely no finger on or near the trigger when this happened, just the slide moving forward and "racking" a round into the chamber. This happened again when I tried to replicate what happened. Thankfully the weapon was pointed safely down range

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Welcome to Bersa Pistol Forum glad to have you with us.

I was told many years ago do not use the slide release to allow slide to move to the full forward position. So I have never tried it. However if the pistol did fire when the slide release was pressed I wonder why it did not continue to fire if there was a malfunction with the pistol. You could have had a full automatic pistol on your hands. Dangerous... It will be interesting to find out what caused it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts