Bersa Pistol Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I just purchased a Bersa thunder 380 this morning and was told to do a 200-300 round break in, what is the best ammo for this, the shop wanted me to put aluminum case thru it but I told him brass. any help would be appreciated. also are they +p rated this will be my conceal carry firearm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi. Welcome aboard. Congratulations on your find.
Extensive use of extra hot loads will increase the rate of wear on your weapon, any weapon. Most users shoot a few on occasion just to ensure that they cycle reliably and to reaquaint themselves with the "Zero". Generally, practice is with F.M.J.s at standard pressures. Some people have mentioned that flat-nosed projectiles have been problematic. I found an H.P. that has a very F.M.J.-like ogive. The few that I've shot were fine. I had only put about 80 F.M.J.s through it beforehand. (bought slightly used.)
I personally don't expect to ever use +P 380's in my Thunder.

BTW, I've read that SAAMI recogonizes no +P in .380 A.C.P.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Hello all I just purchased a Bersa thunder 380 this morning and was told to do a 200-300 round break in, what is the best ammo for this, the shop wanted me to put aluminum case thru it but I told him brass. any help would be appreciated. also are they +p rated this will be my conceal carry firearm.
Welcome on Board.
I use PMC Bronze In my Bersa Thunder 380 since I have had very good luck with it. I use Winchester PDX1 personal protection ammo for my conceal carry ammo.
I also had good luck with Blazer and Lawman ammo. The Bersa's can handle just about most ammo. Just don't use ammo that comes in a brown box made somewhere in Russia...

;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
At this point, I think any ammo you can find is good ammo! I emailed Bersa distributor about +P ammo and they said it was OK, just not too much (see above for good reasons).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I shoot blazer with out problem Now as to the Plus P. Their is no Plus P in 380 SAAMI sets the standards for Plus P and they have never bothered with 380. I have shot Corbon JHP and DPX for 9 years from my Thunder It is a hot 380 and works well The Plus P came from Buffalo Bore Seems you say Plus P and more people will buy for Self Defense . I know of at least 1 other company that jumped on the Plus P wagon .

If you want a good SD round then the Corbon DPX should be your choice will do 1050fps and work Worst 380 I have ever tested and others also is the Remington 102 gr 50/50 on expansion and have saw as much as 80fps difference between shoots over clock That is bad quality control.
Critical Defense has also shown some lack of expansion and useless thru walls or glass. Their own writing says for self defense with no barriers In other words face to face

I have shot DPX thru ,dry wall , car door 1/8" lexan, demin , and it always expanded I carry in all my 380's 9mm 45's waiting on 32 at present.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a bersa ucp .40. my particular weapon had a big chip in the feed ramp after about 200 rounds (i have the warranty from gander mountain). i sent it in and it took about six weeks for them to return my firearm. the new barrel looks good. i will be taking it out to the range tomorrow to see if it is still accurate to zero. I am a HUGE fan of the .40 S&W cartridge. there is a reason the FBI and most police departments use this round. The .40 was designed by the FBI to penetrate glass, automotive doors ect. I personally feel that it is the most effective round developed for a semi-auto pistol round available. The gun is a bit bigger than the .380's, but the stopping power of the .40 is much greater as well. Over all i personally love the Bersa line of handguns. If the new barrel holds up in the .40 i will defiantly be purchasing a .380. FYI... most of my handgun experience is with a 9MM or the .41 MAG (I love the big magnum rounds for target shooting). I have owned a number of guns in .40 and have found that bigger isn't always better, the best i have found is the 165grn jhp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Now I have a holster question I will be using the 380 as my carry firearm anyone recommend a good holster. My Ruger I have a Blackhawk serpa and like that no one can take it off me, and help would be great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts