Bersa Pistol Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of a semi auto pistol going full auto without any modifications due to improper care and poor quality gunsmithing?? I read an article that recommended that on all new Guns and any used Gun you purchase you should test for this problem situation. The test is easy, just load 2 and only 2 rounds in your magazine. In the safety of a gun range fire one round only and if it does not fire the second round it does not have the full auto problem and is OK to use. If it does fire both rounds and you only pulled the trigger once on a new Gun you should send it back to the Dealer and if it was used, it should be taken to a expert gunsmith.
Is this problem possible or just another Internet tall tale?????

:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is definitely no myth, witnessed it in person "back in the day." A good friend owned a gun shop and was lightening the trigger pull on a 1911 (I won't describe the process) and went into the range to test it with a full mag. One pull on the trigger and the gun emptied the mag! Needless to say, back to the bench the gun went, and he also had to patch the roof because of the unexpected barrel rise.

Ps. Howdy from SE Michigan, and happy to join what seems to be a great forum

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is definitely no myth, witnessed it in person "back in the day." A good friend owned a gun shop and was lightening the trigger pull on a 1911 (I won't describe the process) and went into the range to test it with a full mag. One pull on the trigger and the gun emptied the mag! Needless to say, back to the bench the gun went, and he also had to patch the roof because of the unexpected barrel rise.

Ps. Howdy from SE Michigan, and happy to join what seems to be a great forum
Welcome to Bersa Pistol Forum, glad to have you on board.
Thanks for the info it is great to get information from someone with first hand experience. It may never happen but I will be checking new and used guns from now on.

cowboy.gif

·
Registered
240 Posts
Haven't seen it, personally, but I, too, have read of giving a new gun "the test" to see if it repeat fires. That can be one serious situation and make one come to attention really fast!!! :eek: Thank goodness it doesn't happen too often.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, I had a Erma RX22 back in the mid 80's and it liked to fire two with one trigger pull. Never really bothered me, as I just took it a very fast double-tap.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello, I had a Erma RX22 back in the mid 80's and it liked to fire two with one trigger pull. Never really bothered me, as I just took it a very fast double-tap.
I never even heard of a Erma RX22 pistols so I looked it up and it is a German made 22 semi auto pistol. From the pictures I saw of the Erma it is a great looking pistol. Do you still use it??? From the you tube video I saw the person firing it said he liked it.

cowboy.gif

·
Registered
242 Posts
.............I read an article that recommended that on all new Guns and any used Gun you purchase you should test for this problem situation. The test is easy, just load 2 and only 2 rounds in your magazine. In the safety of a gun range fire one round only and if it does not fire the second round it does not have the full auto problem and is OK to use. If it does fire both rounds and you only pulled the trigger once on a new Gun you should send it back to the Dealer and if it was used, it should be taken to a expert gunsmith......
Tony. Don,t think it's an internet Tail or tale. Have heard of it before on various gun forum sites, but I've never seen it other than with someone using the "bump fire" method. One way or the other, the advice given above would be a good idea.

Also, a welcome to the forum to ALF and N6CRV from the coastal plains of Texas. If ya' got the time, give us an intro so we know more about you and where your from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Tony, no I sold it. It was a very nice carry gun. It broke down like a small PPK. For the cheap gun the bluing really looked good. I had a shop in the 80's when a FFL was only $30.00 for 3 years. I think at the time it only cost like $60.00 or $70.00. What gets me is the prices now compared to what they were. The .22 Jennings were selling for $69.00 and now seen at close to $150.00 something is really wrong!! I had a Bersa in the late 80'sthat was all chrome but can't find anything on it. It always feed and shot good that is why I got another one. I'm getting old so memory not as good but don't think it had the transfer bar on the outside. Have a great Thanksgiving and keep shooting!!
Don

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Tony, no I sold it. It was a very nice carry gun. It broke down like a small PPK. For the cheap gun the bluing really looked good. I had a shop in the 80's when a FFL was only $30.00 for 3 years. I think at the time it only cost like $60.00 or $70.00. What gets me is the prices now compared to what they were. The .22 Jennings were selling for $69.00 and now seen at close to $150.00 something is really wrong!! I had a Bersa in the late 80'sthat was all chrome but can't find anything on it. It always feed and shot good that is why I got another one. I'm getting old so memory not as good but don't think it had the transfer bar on the outside. Have a great Thanksgiving and keep shooting!!
Don
Thanks for the info and as for your memory not being too good you don't have to worry until the day you get to the range and find out you forgot your gun and ammo.
Do have a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends and family.

thumbup.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts