Bersa Pistol Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Kydex, plastic, or nylon holsters, too rough on the body and the gun. After a few trial and errors with various styles, both IWB & OWB, including paddles, I decided on a good quality owb leather holster from UBG Holsters for both my 380 and my 9UC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My personal favorite is Kydex. I like the lack of care it needs, and the "snick-snick" solid catch/release upon drawing or holstering. Snaps in, snaps out - fast. Once the trigger guard is past the hold, it's a clean, frictionless draw. It's either properly holstered, or it isn't. I also prefer holsters made specifically for the gun, not the generic "Fits A, B, and C, and sometimes X and Y guns" types. That's easy with Kydex. I prefer smaller holsters, and that's easier to do with Kydex, too. I haven't noticed that either material (Kydex or leather) wears the gun's finish more than the other. Any holster will wear the finish. I'm not concerned about that. Holster wear is called "character" and shows this is a working gun, not a "safe queen". If your gun doesn't show holster wear, you aren't practicing enough. As a last note, Kydex is easier to modify than leather. If you want a lower top edge, a reduced trigger cover, or your barrel is shorter than the holster is designed for, a few minutes with a Dremel will do the trick. I've modified all my carry holsters so when I grab the gun - except for my trigger finger along the side of the holster - all I feel is gun butt. I don't grab any of the holster at all. I'll modify a paddle (my favorite type) until it's totally comfortable, too.

All that being said, YOU carry what's best for YOU. Whatever is a workable compromise of material, comfort, speed, security and concealability is what YOU want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wooow, this is as comprehensive unswer as it can be. Thank you.
It is hard to know what one wants without certain amount of experiance and a chance to try a specyfic holster, I am a novice to the practice of cc. I like the idea of sizeing that can be achieved with kydex, a holster made for one gun only with optional cuts. Kydex on hide design made by several producers looks good to me. I am wondering weather kydex could be lined from inside with a layer of some suitable material. As for wear and "character", don't know if I'll keep the gun. If I do, no problem with some "character". :))

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is hard to know what one wants without certain amount of experiance and a chance to try a specyfic holster, I am a novice to the practice of cc.
You will learn with time. If you ask 100 people who carry in any gun forum, about 95 of them will tell you they have a shoebox (or 2, or 3) full of holsters they've tried and discarded for one reason or another. It can get expensive, but sometimes you don't know what you want until you try it. Sit down and try to figure out the best method of carry for you. Then determine if you want leather or Kydex. Paddle or beltslide? OWB or IWB? It's sorta a flowchart decision. After much trial and error, I settled on a Kydex OWB paddle for my Springfield XD40SC. I don't have to work in a "tucked in shirt" job, so I can easily conceal this rig under a one size larger, untucked sport shirt. It's a quick access setup and I can easily draw one handed by brushing my shirt aside with my strong hand thumb as I reach for my gun. You will have to learn to "dress around the gun" to some extent. Patterns and dark colors are your friend. In some states, printing is OK. Here in SC, it's "as long as the outline is not recognizable as a gun". A generic bump on your belt could be any number of electronic devices. I've carried since SC enacted their CC law and I'm still asking questions - I'll be glad to help all I can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I am dealing with 3 different weapons, I just might jump in and try making my own. I have all the basic tools, and there is a good tutorial on youtube.
Thanks for chiming in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am looking in what may be a good holster (sturdy, issolation from body sweat, cant options, return option and good warranty) for Bersa UC9. How agressive is kydex on gun's finish, any experince / data out there?
Thanks , Valent.

https://clevelandsholsters.com/Home.html

Font Automotive exterior Art Darkness Signage I reckon that I have that "shoe box full of holsters" It took some doing but I settled in on the OWB challenger 2000 series holster for both of my Bersa's from; Kirkpatrick Concealment Holsters It is a well made leather holster that is custom fit to each pistol, you can get it lined or unlined, it holds high and tight to my body, retains with a leather strap that comes off with a flick of my thumb for an easy draw. Their not inexpensive holsters but rather than buy a half dozen that just don't cut it it's less expensive to buy a good holster in the first place....

Automotive design Gas Personal protective equipment Camera accessory Bumper

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with Keltyke. It takes time and trying out different styles to see what suits you best. If one guy swears up and down that he's tried them all and that his current rig is the end all and be all, then it is... for him! for you? Maybe not. We all are different in what and how we carry. No two shooters are going to carry the exact same pistol with the exact same ammo with the exact same rail and light in the exact same holster at the exact same angle in the exact same position on the body. No way! No two shooters are built the same!

Ask your friends. Ask at the range. See what the folks are carrying and as to why they prefer that rig. Me? It depends what pistol I carry where, what activity, weather, duration of carry, etc. I have various carry options as social functions, hunting, camping, work and daily life activities dictate what, how and when I carry.

I use IWB holsters for work (Old Faithful) and daily wear (Nate Squared) for my smaller 380/9mm CCW pistols. Camping? Shoulder holster for my S&W 357 mag revolver. Hunting? Depends on the game, but usually my old cowboy rig for my Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. Suit and tie? Shoulder holster for my M&P 40. Reserve Deputy work? Uniform and duty belt with my 92FS or my M&P40. Yes, no Glocks here.

I use several weapons because each fits the time and place. I don't carry my 92FS everyday everywhere. It's just not feasible. Nor will a 380 fill the bill 24/7. As such, I tried out different carry options. Luckily, I do a little leather crafting as a hobby and can 'adjust' a feature or two to my liking on a leather or a leather/kydex hybrid. But not all of us are handy with tools or have tools handy to them. And that's ok. Be not afraid to try new things and fiddle with them!

Remember this, just because one person says that his rig made by so-n-so is the perfect rig, it is... but for him. Look, listen, check it out, try it on, if possible. Compare it to what other rigs you may have tried, and go from there. Pretty soon, you'll narrow down a list. The beauty of my hybrid holsters lies in their ability to be almost infinitely ajustable in cant, body position, carry depth and IWB or OWB (if so modified or so ordered). Lined in leather or unlined, combat cut or no? Yet another choice. And the list goes on!

If we all had the same tastes, wants and needs, we'd all be married to the same girl!

Keep your powder dry...

Wagonboss1

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I am looking in what may be a good holster (sturdy, issolation from body sweat, cant options, return option and good warranty) for Bersa UC9. How agressive is kydex on gun's finish, any experince / data out there?
Thanks , Valent.

https://clevelandsholsters.com/Home.html
If you decide on a IWB Holster for your carry weapon check and see if the IWB has a model that is made with Horse Hide instead of Cowhide since Horse hide is denser and will not absorb sweat. At least that is what I am told and if it is true it may keep your gun dry and not rust.

:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts