Bersa Pistol Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum, soon to be a Bersa owner.

I have run across 2 Bersa's at a gun show continuing tomorrow. One is the Thunder .380 Plus in dual tone, the other is the Thunder Ultra Compact Pro .40 cal. and its the Stainless model. The .45 version is what I really wanted but this will do. I know one is NIB (can't remember which) but they both appear to be new. The sticker on them has the .380 at $445, the .40 at $450. Which is the better priced gun? Or maybe I need to ask which is easier to find at a later date? I prefer Stainless look, in the .380 I prefer the larger Plus size mag. I'm thinking the .40 is priced better. Opinions on this please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't buy either one. The .40 was not the compact version like I thought, and the .380 was just too far overpriced to make sense. I did get a Crimson Trace handgrip laser for my Sig 2022 for $45 less than I've seen it before and another 17 round mag. I'll wait till the current frenzy dies down and prices become more reasonable to purchase the Bersa. Thanks JDB.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a BT380. I bought it "prior loved". It's only been to the range with me a couple of times, but it's been 100%. It hasn't had an FTF or FTE with about 100 rounds through it. It shoots to P.O.A. and has a suprisingly pleasant trigger in both D.A. and in S.A.
I've been reading that the "Plus" series has been having reliability problems. (Certain runs only.) The UC40, UC9, and UC45 get rave reports.
Although the 40S&W cartridge does not interest me, I believe that you might be better served with the UC40 than the .380 Plus.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The 45 UC Pro will be back on my list as soon as the current insanity calms down a bit. I've been trying to find ammo for what I already have. Seeing as how I have no .45 A.C.P. guns as of yet, there's no sense for me to add .45 to the list of ammo that I can't find. I too would prefer a Duo Tone model.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I have run across 2 Bersa's at a gun show continuing tomorrow. One is the Thunder .380 Plus in dual tone, the other is the Thunder Ultra Compact Pro .40 cal. and its the Stainless model. The .45 version is what I really wanted but this will do. I know one is NIB (can't remember which) but they both appear to be new. The sticker on them has the .380 at $445, the .40 at $450. Which is the better priced gun? Or maybe I need to ask which is easier to find at a later date? I prefer Stainless look, in the .380 I prefer the larger Plus size mag. I'm thinking the .40 is priced better. Opinions on this please.
Full size 40 is too big to carry, but it would be good for house gun. 380 plus, on the other side is as big and heavy as UC9. I believe UC9 is positioned to be house gun as well as carry gun. It is close in capacity to 380 plus, 14rnds, on one side and can be fitted with high capacity magazine from HC9, 17rnds, and ammo is cheaper than either 380, or 40. UC9 seems to have the most reliable track, whereas 380 models can be finicky. I have purchased UC9 with that in mind and 380CC for deeper concealment and backup. With good holsters they are both easy to carry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Full size 40 is too big to carry, but it would be good for house gun. 380 plus, on the other side is as big and heavy as UC9. I believe UC9 is positioned to be house gun as well as carry gun. It is close in capacity to 380 plus, 14rnds, on one side and can be fitted with high capacity magazine from HC9, 17rnds, and ammo is cheaper than either 380, or 40. UC9 seems to have the most reliable track, whereas 380 models can be finicky. I have purchased UC9 with that in mind and 380CC for deeper concealment and backup. With good holsters they are both easy to carry.
I have a UC9 and a 380-Plus. On paper, they are close in weight, but I swear- the 380-Plus seems much lighter to me, surely is smaller- feels great in my hand. I'm using the UC9 for cool weather carry with shoulder holster, and the 380-Plus with belt-mounted-OWB, cross-draw for warmer weather. I'm kinda in to the cross-draw approach.

I got my 380-Plus for a little over 300.and my UC9 for right at 400. ... before the current maelstrom. Got 2 xtra factory mags for each(for once, my timing was good all-round). Had to send 380-Plus for repairs twice when new, once for drawbar upgrade and once for slide-catch replacement. Now it shoots like a beast, UC9 was a panzer from the get-go. Got both October-November 2012.

OBTW - per OP, wasn't the Bersa 40 actually nickel-plated ? SS would be way excellent, but I think Bersa isn't offering any as of now. Just Curious....

·
Registered
134 Posts
I prefer cross-draw also. I'm a fat guy, and strong-side draw is a give away because of the drawing motion (raise shoulder, stick out elbow for purchase while reaching accross my gut to lift the shirt). With cross-draw, I just reach accross my fat belly. My off-hand can raise my shirt then block if needed. The drill has me turning to my strong side to escape to cover while reaching for my sidearm. This also would bring the muzzle towards the most likely direction of the threat, my front. This seems to work with my BT380 and the Taurus PT-908* better than with the J-frame.
I still need to actually practice some "draw n shoot" drills to confirm this. So far it's just been empty gun drills.

* PT-908 is 1/2 inch taller and 1/2 inch longer than the 9UC. Barrel is 3 3/4 inch. It's an 8+1 9mm. In fact, it's the same dimensions as a 45UC which is partly why the 45UC is on my "list".

·
Registered
12 Posts

I'd get the .40 S&W, if you really wanted a .45 ACP. The .40, with 180 gr rounds, is a pleasure to shoot. Recoils much like a .45, with little muzzle flip. Back on target faster. Just my recent observations on the .40 cal. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a UC9 and a 380-Plus. On paper, they are close in weight, but I swear- the 380-Plus seems much lighter to me, surely is smaller- feels great in my hand. I'm using the UC9 for cool weather carry with shoulder holster, and the 380-Plus with belt-mounted-OWB, cross-draw for warmer weather. I'm kinda in to the cross-draw approach.

I got my 380-Plus for a little over 300.and my UC9 for right at 400. ... before the current maelstrom. Got 2 xtra factory mags for each(for once, my timing was good all-round). Had to send 380-Plus for repairs twice when new, once for drawbar upgrade and once for slide-catch replacement. Now it shoots like a beast, UC9 was a panzer from the get-go. Got both October-November 2012.

OBTW - per OP, wasn't the Bersa 40 actually nickel-plated ? SS would be way excellent, but I think Bersa isn't offering any as of now. Just Curious....
Per published information, difference is 1.5 oz. Not noticable. I believe difference is the grip, in favor of 380. UC9 has shorter grip, not as comfotrable. I have gotten mine at the same time last year, UC9 and 380CC for $700.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had my Thunder Plus for just over a year.I paid $400 for it and one extra Bersa mag. I came back a week later and bought another mag. I have about 500-600 rds through it with one problem. There is a pin that will work loose under the rt. grip panel and hang up on the little trigger bar causing the pistol to stop firing.It starts over a few mags until it won't fire at all.They have pics of this malady on a few of the BersaChat sites. There are a few options for repair.I tapped the pin in and filed the back of the little bar with a jewelers file.Some put a little red Loctite on it. Some stake it like the gas key on a bolt carrier group.All work equally well. I am not a fan of shipping guns back to repair depots.The folks Bersa uses might be great,but I have heard some horror stories from the depot experiences people have had.I don't remember any from Bersas folks though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My only input would be what exactly do you plan to do with this gun? The 380 and 40 are NO comparison for firepower! And the 380 (I have a Thunder 380 CC model) cost me about $350 back in January - February of this year. So $450 is waaaaaay outta line unless it has some things included that you didn't mention. If for SD use, I think my vote would go to the 40. I'm not totally sold on a 380 as a great defense pistol....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts