Bersa Pistol Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I had shelved the Bersa .380 for awhile, using the CZ83 .380 or Glock 19 as carry guns. While the Glock was (and still is) still my carry choice for urban forays (Sacramento, San Francisco, etc), I was using the CZ83 for local, EDC. Several things happened.

One, I found that the CZ83 with its steel frame is actually as heavy as the Glock, and offered little size benefit.
Two, while incredibly accurate, I have recently begun to have some FTFs with my carry ammo, Buffalo Bore +p 90 grain JHPs The last time I fired it, I had an average of one FTF per Magazine (13 rounds), That is NOT acceptable.

That brought me back to the old reliable...the FireStorm. I have NEVER had a FTF or FTE with the Bersa. It gobbles up anything I feed it, including the Buffalo Bore +P "Flying Ashtray" HPs. The Bersa is also a virtual tack driver, and is at least as accurate as my CZ83, if not more so. I can bounce pop cans offhand at 7-10 yards easily (my favorite drill).

It holds 9 rounds , as I use 380 CC mags. Nine rounds of the of the Buffalo Bore (with its 300+ ft lbs ME) should would handle almost anything I would encounter in our small town. When out selling Realestate. it fits nicely in my Gunglove butt forward holster, either under my jacket, or in an outside pocket of my messanger bag that I use as a briefcase.

I am getting an S&W M&P Shield 9mm when it gets out of 10 Californication DROS jail. That will likely replace the Glock as my Urban carry piece, loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps (345 ft lbs ME from a 3").

I do love my little Bersa!

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I have several different pistols but I carry and enjoy my Bersa Thunders 380, and enjoy firing my Firestorm 22 so I know what you mean. If you do get a S&W M&P Shield 9mm you will great a very good pistols. Several of my friends have them and they love them plus I am told that they shoot straight and on target.
Tony
cowboy.gif

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony!

I expect the Bersa will still be my local EDC carry pistol for up here in the rural Sierras. It is so compact and [email protected] accurate. It is way more accurate than my Glock 19, that's for sure. I will use the shield as my Urban Carry Piece, though. If I am in the SF Bay Area or even Sacramento metro areas, I don't want to be out gunned by the goblins and raving insurrectionists! LOL....

·
Registered
8 Posts
was reading these post on you edc. and some were talking about using a hi cap mag for urban carry. i'm not sure that having 15 rounds will really be need in self defense . most self defense actions will be up close and personal.but i can understand what you are saying. thats why with i will be carrying 3 eight round magazines. besides the 8 in the gun and one in the chamber.so 33 rounds.unless i go for the 9 round ones for spare magazines. but then again we could go to the bersa thunder 380 plus. for 15 rounds plus on and 30 back up. but this is just my 2 cents. to each his own

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks! My rational for "larger" for urban carry is less about the magazine, than the performance of the .380 round. Locally, I still use my FireStorm for carrying in our rural community. 8+1 of Buffalo Bore 90 grn +P flying ashtrays (@300 ft lbs from the FireStorm), should be pretty good for most situations that I would encounter here. In the Glock, I carry the 9BLE Illinois State Police load, 115 +P+, with over 400 ft lbs ME. That's because in urban areas, I am more likely to run into a thug or gang banger high on meth. I want the extra energy. Recently, I have switched from the Glock to an S&W Shield 9mm with a 3" barrel and 10 rounds (9+1). I use Gold Dot +P 124s for 345 ft lbs ME. It is almost as concealable as the Bersa, but has more thump.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Back to my FireStorm for EDC! Well, I had shelved the Bersa .380 for awhile...........Several things happened.......... I do love my little Bersa!
Sorry about the late post, I need to get pack into checking my forums more often. Been down with some health issues since late summer, including surgery to stabilize a couple of vertebrae fractures and most recently a repair on an aortic aneurysm. Starting back over a couple of years ago, and more so since moving back to Texas 18 months ago, I started carrying the BT380 more than the 9UC to the point I seldom ever carry the 9 any more. I use one of my 9UCs as my "under the pillow gun". Several factors have led to this decision, including age, concealability and my changing attitudes about what I can accomplish in defending myself and change in lifestyle. I'm now 70+ and don't feel like my physical abilities are enough to play rough and tumble active shooter games. My attitude on SD are now that I will have to wait for a BG to come to me and that is the focus of my range training. Upper center mass, neck and face groupings at 10 to 20 feet. Our social life is mostly Church, grocery shopping and going out to eat as long as we can be back before dark sets in. Last but not least, I am an avid CC person and work hard to insure that my HG never shows. The BT 380, even with the 9rd DLX mag is far easier to conceal than my 9UCs.

Reactions: Tony1990

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Hi 9uc, glad you are feeling better and checking in with us again. Hopefully there will be only smooth sailing for you in the future.

Tony

smilie_flag.gif

Reactions: 9UC

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, 9uc, I hear you on the health issues. I have macular degeneration in both eyes and, while stabilized, I can't really see clear enough up close to focus on the front sight of a handgun held at arms length. So I'm learning how to point shoot. Takes practice. Wish you well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Back up and running for the time being. On the last day of a short RV trip to SAn Angelo, TX to check ot the local area for a possible move it the future. After 30 years in Vegas, the coastal plains of NE corner of Harris county TX is about to do me in. Let's Pray that it stays stabilized.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts